Indiana Department of Workforce Development Updates Hots Jobs List
INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. - The Indiana Department of Workforce Development (DWD) today unveiled the "Hoosier Hot 50" jobs list, a tool which provides Hoosiers an insight into the most in-demand and high paying careers in today's job market and in the future. First introduced in 2006, the Hoosier Hot 50 is published every two years by DWD. The 2012 installment lists the top 50 jobs of out of approximately 300 reviewed for the program to showcase the most high-wage and in-demand jobs of today in Indiana, through 2020.
The 2012 Hoosier Hot 50 features a new website with video profiles of Hoosiers currently working in each position. The profiles provide viewers an inside look at a typical day on the job, how they broke into that field and what each person enjoys about their job. Each profile also includes data on the number of projected job openings by 2020, average salary and the education and/or training required for that career.
"The Hoosier Hot 50 is a wonderful tool to help Hoosiers of all ages identify the skills they need for the job market of the future as well as today," said Scott B. Sanders, Commissioner of the Indiana Department of Workforce Development. "It is also important to note the majority of the jobs profiled require at the very least postsecondary vocational training or an associate degree. This definitely highlights the need for us all to be life-long learners and to not stop at a high school diploma or GED."
Highlights of the 2012 Hoosier Hot 50:
The full list of the top 50 jobs and profiles are available at www.HoosierHot50.com.
- 57 percent of the projected high-wage, high-demand jobs through 2020 will require post-secondary vocational training or more.
- Change in the #1 job -Physician/Surgeon is the top job of the future in Indiana.
- 40 of the top 50 jobs listed require at least post-secondary vocational training.
- 37 jobs require an associate degree or higher.
- 20 new jobs broke into the Hoosier Hot 50. The highest debut is Marketing Specialist at number 14.
- The list displays the special “Hot Now” symbol that highlights jobs on the list that are currently in-demand.
The Hoosier Hot 50 is produced by the DWD Research and Analysis team. It is based on eight weighted measurements, including long-term growth forecasts (2020), job openings due to turnover in the current workforce and salary. The DWD Team that created this forecasting model was honored in 2006 with a Public Service Award from Governor Mitch Daniels and has trained other states on this program at the request of the U.S. Department of Labor.
Source: Indiana Department of Workforce Development